Get behind the wheel – a roadmap to a rewarding career
The Driver Delivery Program is supported by the Victorian Government and is run in conjunction with Armstrong’s Driver Education. The program is fully subsidised and this allows it to be offered at no cost to participants and employers.
This program will help prepare a participant to become a skilled and valued member of a transport team with a complete understanding of industry expectations. The industry needs drivers and the pathway to your rewarding career could be as close as participating in this heavy vehicle driver training program.
The Driver Delivery program is an 8-day 2:1 program that provides individually tailored training, mentoring, and behind-the-wheel driving experience to new drivers of heavy vehicles
Driver Delivery participants will achieve a solid foundation of driving skills, confidence and the competency of operating heavy vehicles safely.
Participants will also gain advanced skills and knowledge with comprehensive training and learning in basic skills and advanced areas that include:
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Cabin Drills
- Load Restraints
- Road Craft
- Fatigue Management
- Loading Docks
- Metropolitan Driving
- Rural Driving
- Risk Reduction Techniques
- Vehicle Inspection
- Chain of Responsibility
The program has been designed so that approved applicants will obtain their Heavy Rigid (HR) or Heavy Combination (HC) licence during the program, subject to the approved applicant satisfying standard VicRoads licencing criteria.
Upon successful completion of the program, the VTA will facilitate interviews with reputable transport and logistics organisations in order to help secure a heavy vehicle driving position for a participant. Please note that any offer of employment and final approval is subject to the recruitment and selection processes of the individual organisation.
Applicants must satisfy VicRoads licence eligibility in order to be considered for entry into the Driver Delivery Program.
- Applicants entering the program at the HR level must hold a current Australian Driver’s Licence card; held for a minimum of 24 months; OR
- For applicants entering the program at the HC level applicants must hold either a current Medium Rigid (MR), Heavy Rigid (HR), or combination of a MR and HR licence held for minimum of 12 months.
Interested participants will be required to complete the following steps:
- Complete a VTA Driver Delivery Application form
- Provide a current driving record with the Application
- Complete a VTA telephone interview
- Complete a heavy vehicle pre-assessment driving session with Armstrongs Driver Education
- Attend a face-to-face interview at the VTA
- An applicant will then be notified of their approval to undertake the program
For further information please refer to this LINK.
Please complete the following Information Form and the VTA will contact you.